Friday, July 15, 2005

This will be the last time I ever do your hair! Bridget Jones' Diarrhea (The Scissor Sisters) @ Mercury Lounge, July 13, 2005

Wasting time at work reading the music blogs is sometimes incredibly rewarding - thanks to Brooklyn Vegan, I learned that the Scissor Sisters were going to play Mercury Lounge on Wednesday night under the name Bridget Jones' Diarrhea. Peephole hooked up the tickets during a lunch break by cabbing over to the Mercury.

Well, all I can say is thank you Vegan and thank you Peephole - the Sisters were phenomenal. Not the least bit surprising - they put on a great show in December and my first exposure to them was their performance at last year's Benicassim festival (I became a quick convert). As professional entertainers as they clearly are (they did just play for billions at Live 8), apparently they are capable of stage fright even in a venue as small as the Mercury Lounge. We were standing the by the stairs to enter the stage and as they waited to go on, Jake Shears said "I am strangely nervous" - I can only guess it was due to the fact that they were about to test out 6 new songs in front of friends and family. The nerves didn't show once they took the stage and ripped into "Laura." The show felt very short (probably because it was eo energetic and fun), but they did play 12 songs - 6 new and 6 old, and of the old songs that they played were all the ones that I wanted to hear: "Laura," "Take Your Momma," "Mary," "Filthy Gorgeous," "Tits on the Radio," and "Comfortably Numb" as the closer. Obviously, the energy in that small room was overflowing. Seeing them so close also made it a lot easier to appreciate what a tight band and consummate professionals they are.

Peephole has now recovered from missing their set in Spain last summer. Here are write-ups by Brooklyn Vegan, Yeti Don't Dance, and Central Village.

I already posted my pics from the show here and here. My first foray into concert photos but when you are that close to the stage, it is hard not to.

4 Comments:

At 10:26 AM, Blogger ashley said...

Wow - you're blog is full of good info. It's getting hard to find blogs with useful content and people talking about stage fright these days. I have just started my Latest stage fright news blog and would really appreciate you coming by - thanks again

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Clickbank Mall said...

Great Post but was not what I was looking for. But you really have a gread blog here. Keep it going.


I'll stop back every so often to see new updates maybe something will interest me in the future.

Have a good day.

 
At 6:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dubbele in opt

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger job opportunitya said...

Suitable blog, its very good. I liked the site its
from so much I have to visit it again! I surf the web
for blogs like yours in my spare time.
Check out the blog site with my plastic surgery prices in it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home